"…In the spirit of full disclosure I should note that I’ve been taking tap classes from Darlene Zoller, the show’s creator/choreographer and Stop/Time’s founder, for a while now. With that out of the way, here goes…
- Anytime Tyler Knowlin or Spencer Pond were on the stage, they had our attention. Mr. Knowlin, a remarkably compelling tapper, earned his “special guest” program designation by making it all look so easy and taking ownership of the best parts of both acts. Mr. Pond, who was on stage throughout the show — even at it’s most crowded — always commanded it. Both lithe and quick-witted, he always left this audience member wanting more.
- Act II’s company-wide “Tap Jam” and the trio on Bob Fosse’s “Steam Heat” (with an especial shout-out to Constance Gobeille).
- The energy, enthusiasm, and commitment that Stop/Time dancers always bring to their shows.
- The chemistry between angels Hillary Ekwall and Victoria Mooney.
- The simple poignancy of the choreography for “Remember Me,” s song written by Music Director Sean Pallantroni….
If a good dance show is one that highlights talented dancers in a variety of styles, then Darlene Zoller and Company have provided the audience with that (and more). Sure, it’s not perfect, but, when you go, you’ll be rewarded by the sheer joy that the performers bring to the stage. And, if perchance you like disco, you’ll enjoy it even more…”
"I’d Rather Be Dancing" runs at Playhouse On Park, 244 Park Road West Hartford, 06119, through April 13th. Order tickets online or at the Box Office: 860-523-5900 x 10.
Photo by Rich Wagner
Want to know what it is like to design costumes for a play? Check out our interview with Valerie Webster, the Costume Designer for Higgins in Harlem!